HR 6183: Federal Employees Responsible Investment Act
HR 6183 IH
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
September 22, 2010
Mr. LANGEVIN (for himself, Mr. KENNEDY, Mr. KUCINICH, Mrs. LOWEY, and Mr. MCGOVERN) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
To amend title 5, United States Code, to provide for a corporate responsibility investment option under the Thrift Savings Plan.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `Federal Employees Responsible Investment Act’.
SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
Congress finds the following:
(1) The Department of Labor has asserted that socially responsible investments meet the fiduciary standards set in the Employee Retirement Income Security Act.
(2) Eighty-four percent of mutual fund investors would be more likely to invest in a fund if one of its principles was to invest in companies that engage in ethical business practices in terms of operations and reporting.
(3) Seventy-one percent of investors agree that companies that operate with higher levels of integrity carry less investment risk, and 67 percent of investors believe that these companies deliver better investment returns.
(4) In 2007, $2,700,000,000,000 was invested in socially responsible funds in the United States.
SEC. 3. CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY STOCK INDEX FUND.
(a) Definition- Section 8438(a) of title 5, United States Code, is amended–
(1) in paragraph (9), by striking `and’ at the end;
(2) in paragraph (10), by striking the period at the end and inserting `; and’; and
(3) by adding at the end the following:
`(11) the term `Corporate Responsibility Stock Index Fund’ refers to the fund established under subsection (b)(1)(G).’.
(1) IN GENERAL- Section 8438(b)(1) of title 5, United States Code, is amended–
(A) in subparagraph (E), by striking `and’ at the end;
(B) in subparagraph (F), by striking the period at the end and inserting `; and’; and
(C) by adding at the end the following:
`(G) a Corporate Responsibility Stock Index Fund as provided under paragraph (6).’.
(2) FUND REQUIREMENTS- Section 8438(b) of title 5, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
`(6)(A) The Board shall select a minimum of one index which is a commonly recognized, passively managed index comprised of stocks (domestic or otherwise) that have been analyzed based on criteria consistent with the purposes of this paragraph. Such criteria shall at a minimum include corporate governance, environmental practices, workplace relations and benefits, product safety and impact, international operations and human rights, involvement with repressive regimes, and community relations. The (or, if more than one, each) index’s financial track record must be comparable to that of the other options available under the Thrift Savings Plan.
`(B) The Corporate Responsibility Stock Index Fund shall be invested in a portfolio designed to replicate the performance of the index in subparagraph (A) (or, if more than one, their overall average performance). The portfolio shall be designed such that, to the extent practicable, the percentage of the Corporate Responsibility Stock Index Fund that is invested in each stock is the same as the percentage determined by dividing the aggregate market value of all shares of that stock by the aggregate market value of all shares of all stocks included in such index (or indexes).’.
by FedSmith.com |