- FedSmith.com Blogs -

Tags: ,

Changes Coming to FSA’s

by John Grobe |

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) are one of the more recent additions to federal benefits.  Yes, they’ve been around a decade or so, but that is relatively “new” in the world of federal benefits.  They allow us to set aside pre-tax money to pay unreimbursed health care and dependent care expenses.

There have been some changes in FSAs in the past (i.e., requiring a doctor’s prescription for over the counter drugs), and a major new change is coming in 2013.  As part of the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (or ObamaCare), the amount that can be set aside in a health care FSA will be reduced to $2,500 and will be increased each subsequent year by inflation.  There will be no change in the $5,000 that can be set aside in a dependent care FSA.

Another item regarding FSAs that bears mentioning is that any expenses incurred after an employee has left federal service (either by retiring or resigning) cannot be reimbursed, even if the employee had money in the account.  Those planning on leaving federal service should pay extra attention to their FSA so that they do not leave money on the table in the year in which they leave.

© 2014 John Grobe. All rights reserved. This article may not be reproduced without express written consent from John Grobe.

Related Articles

About the Author

Photo of John Grobe

John Grobe

John Grobe is a retired federal employee with over 25 years of experience in federal human resources and President of Federal Career Experts, a training and consulting firm that specializes in federal employee retirement and career transition issues.

Bio | Contact


If you are an Internet Explorer user, please note that Disqus may not render properly in compatability view mode.

Free Email Updates

Unsubscribe or Update Email

Daily TSP Rates

April 23, 2014

Fund Last Change YTD
L Income 17.0052 -0.0039 +1.12%
L 2020 22.1247 -0.0201 +1.51%
L 2030 23.8515 -0.0302 +1.67%
L 2040 25.2749 -0.0396 +1.78%
L 2050 14.3237 -0.0259 +1.85%
G Fund 14.3916 +0.0010 +0.73%
F Fund 16.1682 +0.0360 +2.71%
C Fund 24.3784 -0.0506 +2.11%
S Fund 34.1199 -0.1856 +1.33%
I Fund 25.9714 -0.0004 +1.59%
More TSP Rates | Track Your Investments