Perfect Part-Time Work for Federal Workers

By on March 7, 2013 in Current Events with 101 Comments

Now is as good a time as any to consider perfect part-time work since thousands upon thousands of US government employees will be forced to take unpaid days off due to sequestration budget cuts.

Washington is poised to reduce the federal budget by USD 85 billion between March 1 and September 31, which will lead to furloughs, otherwise known as forced leaves of absence. This unpaid time off can wreak havoc on federal workers when it comes to paying the mortgage, making car-loan installments and keeping up with other expenses.

Fortunately, there are lots of options for part-time work options for federal workers, though it’s important that these employees abide by the rules. For instance, the U.S. Office of Government Ethics [OGE] publishes regulations and policies to govern standards of ethical conduct for the executive branch. Following the rules will help federal workers to understand what is and what isn’t permitted in terms of activities and finances.

What follows are just a handful of suggestions for part-time work for federal workers:

Business Owner

To be certain, the OGE states that federal employees can indeed earn money outside of their government roles, including owning their own businesses. It is up to federal workers, however, to consult the OGE regulations and policies to ensure that their part-time work choices don’t break the law. Workers also need to inform their supervisors about any jobs they hold outside of their official duties with the executive branch of government. Doing so will enable the supervisors to ensure that the workers are complying with conflict of interest rules. Federal workers who don’t already have businesses can always start up operations. Whether choosing to offer products, services or a mixture of both, you can use business ownership as a way to negate the adverse impact of furloughs. In some cases you can be in business as soon as you hang out your sign, which these days means making a website.

Consulting

Many businesses supplement their full-time staff with part-time help. Federal workers have the sort of varied skill sets that can well suit them to provide consulting services, perhaps, to businesses that would benefit from the expertise of critical thinkers. Some companies actually have policies in place that govern the process of hiring former or current government workers. Before taking on any consulting gig, federal workers should consult their supervisors to ensure that they are not violating any rules.

Teaching, Speaking & Writing

Part-time work for federal workers could involve teaching, speaking and writing. Whether for colleges and universities, for conventions and assemblies, for newspapers and online publications, or tutoring, federal employees can use their skills to make some money on the side. There are lots of opportunities available for occasional or ongoing teaching, speaking and writing gigs for people who want to diversify their income streams. That said, there are some important things to consider before going this route. It is against the law, for instance, for executive branch workers to get payment  from any source aside from the federal government for teaching, speaking or writing that relates to the workers’ official job responsibilities with the federal government. Consult the OGE for more specifics on this requirement.

Researcher

Businesses and post-secondary institutions can often benefit from hiring part-time workers with extensive experience when it comes to conducting research and searching through records to unearth critical data. Government workers looking for part-time work might find a job as a researcher or research assistant to be one of the best part-time jobs available if they think they would enjoy helping out with research projects.

Facing forced days off, without pay, can be a hard pill to swallow for federal workers. But by pursuing a part-time job, they can negate the impact of a lighter paycheck from their full-time job.

© 2016 Jason Kay. All rights reserved. This article may not be reproduced without express written consent from Jason Kay.

Jason Kay is a professional resume writer and regular contributor to KSADoctor.com, a professional federal resume service and repository of sample KSA statements.

1. coffeefilter says:

Sounds lovely.  But what about the majority of us  lowly peons who earn WAY BELOW the news-reported ‘fabulous’ salaries.  My agency is one that requires advanced approval.  I am one of the many borderline  ‘senior citizens’ prohibited by law of practicing my professional skills outside of the government for pay.  What about the rest of us single, parents w/kids in college, financially recovering from extended sick leave (including unpaid leave), residing in low economy area, expenses requiring depletion of Thrift Saving accounts.  Part of the above, all of the above, add your own.  Many of us have already had to cut back financially over the last few years.  I am very thankful for what I do have and realize that things could be much worse.  I understand the poster’s attitude with his situation and more to him, but most of us are not so fortunate to have his ‘luxury’ of circumstance.   We need something positive that we can “sink our teeth into.”  Most of us don’t need suggestions in how to ‘cut back.’  We’ve already done that.   Material suggestions for surviving the financial crunch, realistic ways of making money.  Nice to have the extra time to volunteer to help others less fortunate, but that doesn’t put food on the table or pay utility bills.  Sorry, bro, hope you are planning to do something constructive with part of your time off.   “Noblesse oblige”    Anybody out there with good positive ideas/suggestions, please respond.  Are you doing anything ‘on the side’ that someone else could do?  What skills have you found to be in demand?  What is the economy in your area like?  Any ‘online’ possibilities for income? . . . .

• $15300432 says:

owes Walmart and most fast foo places are looking for 2nd and 3rd shift workers no to mention weekends. there are plenty of jobs out there if you need $$$

2. Coffeefilter says:

Sounds lovely.  But what about the majority of us  lowly peons who earn WAY BELOW the news-reported ‘fabulous’ salaries.  My agency is one that requires advanced approval for part-time work.  I am one of the many borderline  ‘senior citizens’ prohibited by law of practicing my professional skills outside of the government for pay.  What about the rest of us single, parents w/kids in college, financially recovering from extended sick leave (including unpaid leave), residing in low economy area, expenses requiring depletion of Thrift Saving accounts – Part of the above, all of the above, add your own.  Many of us have already had to cut back financially over the last few years.  I am very thankful for what I do have and realize that things could be much worse.  I understand the poster’s attitude with his situation and more to him, but most of us are not so fortunate as to have his ‘luxury’ of circumstance.   We need something positive that we can “sink our teeth into.”  Most of us don’t need suggestions in how to ‘cut back.’  We’ve already done that.   Material suggestions for surviving the financial crunch, realistic ways of making money are needed.  Nice to have the extra time to volunteer to help others less fortunate, but that doesn’t put food on the table or pay utility bills.  Sorry, bro, hope you are planning to do something constructive with part of your time off.   “Noblesse oblige”    Those out there who can give some realistic suggestions, please respond!

• $15300432 says:

Prohibited by law from working ??? Really where Bizzaro world??

As for the What about single parents whine…do what the taxpayers do suck it up and get a part time job. You have nights and weekends to fill the gap. When did the taxpayers sign up to take care of you m cradle to grave

• fedemployee10 says:

Actually it is in military regulation that to work a civilian job you must recieve commander approval, not sure which level (Company, Battalion, Brigade, etc.).  So maybe this person has a similar rule within their organization?  As for the part about single parents, its funny how you think that a single mom or dad can just go pick up a job at Wendy’s and afford childcare for the time they are working.  You must not have a child, or know how much it actually costs to have child care.  We all do not live in our parents basements and eat hot pockets.

• $15300432 says:

Ohhhh stop its a military regulation if there is it would only apply to the military. The military really doesn’t care what it civilian landcrabs do.
          As for single parents your point is what??? What do you think the taxpayers in this country do when their expenses are more than their income??? That’s the real issue that feds live in some sort of surreal world where the taxpayers provide everything and all they have to do is just show up and put in their 20 hours a week

3. $31427826 says:

I own a landscaping business, although I don’t recommend starting one today as it is very capital intensive buying the equipment needed.  It happened to be an area of interest for me years ago.

4. RETVET03 says:

I would be interested to know from our other members:

Just what employers are going to hire someone for one day a week?

Because I just don’t see that happening, although it does make a great sound bite on Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity.

5. Sincerely_09 says:

For those saying the article is useless… clearly you do not possess the entrepreneur

spirit.  I’ll agree that if you are thinking that this current sequester is the last in our government’s history, then creating your own business & competing for federal contracts is probably not feasible in a few months.
    I think the main point of the article is that you can choose to view this situation as being a victim of a bad situation or you can do something about it.  It will take work & possibly push you to your limits but in the end you will not only have increased your income, you will have invested in & improved yourself.

6. cessna says:

We must get government approval for that 2nd job……since the government is not going to hold up their end of the bargain on our 1st job…….and won’t even provide for cost of living increases.  What is up with that?  That is just not right!

• $15300432 says:

Guess no one ever told you that feds don’t receive a Cost of Living Raise that’s reserved for retirees

7. wm72 says:

I believe the author was identifying the fact that there are other opportunities to consider, besides doing nothing.  I’ve given it considerable thought and plan to either pursue a part-time business or work part-time for a business. I can assure you that being 59 and responsible; I should have no problem in finding work. The last thing I will do is sit at home when I could be doing something productive.

8. wm72 says:

9. Whigh1998 says:

10. Tinytrump says:

Iv been working P/T for some months now at a home improvement store,,, killing my health but brining up income and paying off bills,,, not happy, but will survive.

• $15300432 says:

welocme to the taxpayers world.

• AnonOneTwo says:

Maybe onedonewon doesn’t know it, but federal workers are taxpayers also. They have homes and families and expenses just like everyone else. Not all federal workers live the high life like Congress does.

• $15300432 says:

Hardly a taxpayer. You take the real taxpayers $$ and give part of it back to the govt. Your no different than those living on welfare

• theinnerring says:

he knows, he doesn’t care.  he’s mad he never got his federal job.  wonder who pays his military retirement?  oh yeah, you and me.  but what he does is  “take the real taxpayers $$ and give part of it back to the govt.  YOU’RE no different than those living on welfare.”  i would have copied/pasted his statement below but he spelled “you’re” incorrectly, again.

11. fedupwithFDO says:

I am really disappointed with my leaders that it has come to this and I have been issed off for a while now.  I have decided though that since my spouse(also fed employee) and I have no kids that I will relish the 4 day work week this summer and try to have fun with less money.  My heart still goes out to those that will struggle to survive all of this though. Traded in my one  RDO for two FDO!

12. fedupwithFDO says:

But most of the people that need part-time will get retail positions.  In an area like mine with small cities that survive because of the Military, there will be less goods sold hence less employees needed so part-time positions will be much harder to find.

13. Greg Morgan says:

wow! Just what I have worked for all of these years, to get ripped off a day per week to have to resort to a part time job! Woooo-hooooooooooooo! Only in America would something like this happen. What baffles me most….out of all the WORLD’S disasters, America is always there first with a gazillion dollars in aid for the afflicted nation(s)….ok, why is no one sending us anything? The countries we are in debted to could reduce or waive interest rates until we regain our footage…….shouldn’t this teach America to mind their own business first instead of being so freakin philanthropic (and with borrowed funds) helping other nations in hard ship?  I knew something like this would happen, we are over in the Middle East helping to rebuild their economies, while our biodegradable infrastructure crumbles………am I missing something here?

14. Dog and cats says:

The conflict of interest work rules are a pain for many of the people in my division. Most of us have advanced STEM field degrees and due to ‘overlap’ with our federal job duties we are barred from teaching, consulting and most tasks related to our field of expertise. We have also been told that are performance measures will not be adjusted to reflect the furloughs so the unspoken work was that we don’t have any extra time for outside work even though we are technically not suppose to be working for the gov on furlough days.

• $15300432 says:

walmart, Home Depot etc hs plenty of openings for people to sweep stock shelves get carts go work for them

15. $21202845 says:

The article omitted the retired military officers who pimp themselves to the highest paying  DoD contractors and/or DoD agencies. They also make the bosses from Hell because they treat civilians like military, refuse to learn civilian personnel rules and often turn workplaces into Hostile Work Environments which is prohibited under Title VII.  I hope these people are the last hired, first fired. As a former security-cleared DoD civilian, I’d rather clean public toilets along I-95 than work for any retired military type.

• Greg Morgan says:

….can I get a “woooooooo-hooooooooooo” here?

• $15300432 says:

Sounds like the military has your abilities figured out and your new job will fit you far better to your talents than what you do now. You do realize that DOD stands for Depart of Defense not Dept of Dolts

• $21202845 says:

You’ve got me shaking in my boots. I have nothing but contempt for military officers; I don’t want them in my life, either personally or professionally. How dare you accuse me of not “adjusting” to the military culture. Retired military officers could care less about their civilian subordinates. As I said, they pimp out to the highest DoD contract bidder, most likely to support their first and second wives. The first gets most, if not all, of their retired pay so they need a high-paying job to keep number 2 wife happy. Oh, BTW, I’m not married to an officer but I see the destruction and carnage they create, both in the workplace and in their personal lives. Got Petraeus?

• $15300432 says:

In case no one has told you or you haven’t figured it out yet, and I’ll go with the latter, the purpose of DOD is to kill and destroy stuff not to make nice with a buch of civilains that couldn’t carry a military mans shoes.
          This isn’t about “caring about civilain subordinates, your PAID to do a job so why should they care about your “feelings”.
          As for their personal lives Got Clinton, Edwards, Kenndy, Dodds, Frank???

• RETVET03 says:

You know DoD is a military culture; perhaps it is you having problems adjusting and not the other way around.  I’m not saying every retired military officer is employee of the year, but I think most try to achieve the mission the best way they know how.  As for me, I work for an active duty officer and I can say I have never had any problems, not with him or the 5 others who came before.

16. Fed_Peasant says:

There may be some part time lobbying jobs on K Street.

17. $15300432 says:

Can you imagine a fed working outside of govt??? Can you see them telling a customer well I have never been trained, or I’m going on a smoke break or when is my next raise??/
    The reason why folks work for the govt is they are under achievers with no creativity and need some one to tell them what to do 8 hours a week

• Vickiharris04 says:

HA got fired from a federal job did you????  LOL….do you have any idea how much you sound like a sour grapes kind of peson…..ROTFL…

• $15300432 says:

Obviously you haven’t read the other posts from your fellow feds. The cry babies who would never be able to find a job paying a 1/3 of what they make now

• LadyGuest says:

I’ve always worked a part time job in additon to my Federal job.  My agency has conflict of interest rules so I can’t work in the field where I have my degrees (so I don’t make much money) but there are plenty of jobs out there for weekend or night time work.  I’ve found that most Feds don’t feel that they should “have” to work a second job and I don’t “have” to either but the extra money sure comes in handy.

• $31427826 says:

There goes Mr. Blowhard again.  How many times did I tell you to keep your mouth shut and let people think you may be stupid, rather than to open it and confirm the fact that you are stupid.  On a serious note, I worked for the federal government for over 30 years, have run my part time business for 25 years and have put two kids through college, including a masters degree.  Both are on their own working in great fields contributing to our society.  I take great exception to your unjustified bias, pig-headed comments about government workers.  I am willing to bet I have done work that you couldn’t even imagine someone doing.  I am proud of what I have done for my country and my family.  I am certainly not proud that you are a follow American.  You are an American citizen aren’t you?

• $15300432 says:

Obviously your kids aren’t feds since they are contributing to society. something that their father has never done. You can take all the exception you like to my comments but the views that I’m expressing are the same ones that 75% of the taxpayers have regarding federal, and I use the term lightly, “workers’.
        Your proud of what you have done for your country??? Looks like your idea of “being proud” are a lot lower than the average human being

• $31427826 says:

Any time you would like to compare, I will be happy to oblige.

• $31427826 says:

If your desire is to make this personal, then you have succeeded.  You know absolutely nothing about me so your comments are absurd.  I guess that’s why most people on here view you as a troll.  All of my comments are based upon your posts.  Your comments however, make personal attacks on people, such as your posts about all federal workers only working 20 hours a week with no accountability.  I’m sure your experience with the federal workforce is extremely limited so comments of that nature are bigoted, stupid and only show your ignorance.  Is that what you really want to tell the world, onedonewong is ignorant?  If you have a point to make, make it, but you do not have to insult 2 million people in the process.  Again, comments of this type do not showcase any talents that you may have.

• RETVET03 says:

Just curious, what kind of business are you running, how did you get it started….any tips?

• theinnerring says:

my day is now complete………… (ODW, YOU’RE slipping, i thought you’d be here much sooner than you were, busy night on federal soup? so many posts, so little time)

18. Ourdaywillcome says:

This is a great idea— possibly we could work as a Congressman– you can’t get any more part time than that.  Well, I guess that’s not completely true– some of them just never show up at all (Republican’s mostly).

• $15300432 says:

better still if you are poorly educated have zero experience and lack any economics background you can fill in for Barak Obama

• Sincerely_09 says:

First I admit I don’t have stats in front of me but could you please show where Republicans don’t show up most often?  I seem to only recall the Democrats walking out of sessions recently & refusing to vote on an issue.
      At state levels, it was Democrats in WI & IN that refused to show up to sessions which delayed voting on bills for months.  When Republicans finally were able to legally force a vote & announced the time, the Democrats still didn’t show up & surprise, the bill they didn’t want voted upon passed… Democrats then accused the Republicans of robbing the citizens of democracy!?!?  So, if they refuse to show up to vote on a bill they don’t like & can’t stop from passing so that it can’t move forward – that is ok.  But when they refuse to show up to vote & lose – that is stealing democracy.  What lying, hypocrites!

• Ourdaywillcome says:

While I
        don’t typically do this, your comment does warrant some response: My statement
        was not referring to Wisconsin,
        but rather to Congressional representatives, at the Federal level. Probably
        something of an example would be that recently, when the House Republicans saw
        that continuing to the Sequester was a foregone conclusion, they then began to
        be quite critical of the cuts that are being made. This largely, because they
        don’t want the public to see the true outcome, or feel the real inconvenience,
        (not to mention the potential lack of safety) that comes as a result of their
        failure to govern, or to put it more succinctly, DO THEIR JOB. They sit back and
        criticize these cuts because they are concerned that it makes them look bad,
        which it does. The simple answer? Demonstrate the courage God gave a cow, get
        off their rears, and do their job and legislate. If they don’t like how the
        cuts are being administered within the Sequester, they have no one to blame but
        themselves– they had the chance to decide ALL OF THIS over a year ago, and
        failed. Their second chance came more recently, since the swearing in of a new
        Congress– again they failed. Bottom line– it requires them to SHOW UP and do
        their job– govern/legislate on behalf of the public, which is their job. Doing
        so will be unpopular, because there are truly difficult choices to make, and it
        may likely affect the re-election possibilities for some. That is why it was
        easier to do nothing, ie., fail to “show up”, and then just sit back
        and criticize every Federal agency out there, regarding the specific cuts they
        were making. So much easier to lay blame, than take responsibility and do the
        job, which is as I originally called it, failing to show up. Now before you get
        into a real tizzy, let me also clarify that this is largely both parties– but
        it is to a greater degree the failure on the part of the Republicans (I am one,
        by the way), because were they to capitulate, theirs would be the greater
        sacrifice (in their eyes), and the one they least want to make (closing tax loopholes). Which is why I
        say, they have chosen not to show up, and as a result, failed to represent the
        people of this country, as they were elected to do.

Yawwwwn

• Sincerely_09 says:

Thank you for your response & I agree with almost all of your statements. I too blame both parties for their weakness, inaction & blame games… my impression from your original comment was you may be one that simply bashed Republicans without consideration.
          I disagree because it appears to me that the Obama administration has done more lip service without action than any other recently. Reid’s refusal to allow any House passed budget to be voted upon in Senate; Pelosi’s “pass Obamacare to see what is in it”; Reid’s claim, “Romney has evaded taxes for 10+ years”; Hillary’s Benghazi debacle; Obama’s refusal to defend current law DOMA, Obama’s many executive orders overreaching the Executive Branch powers, Lying about the Sequester originating from the White House… too many to list.
          By no means am I giving Republicans a pass, but this current administration has been completely misleading & dismissive.

19. Burgerwars says:

If you’re writing about these “opportunities” that can be switched on and off in an instant, at least tell us where we can apply and start collecting our rewards.  Otherwise, this whole article is useless cr*p.

• $31427826 says:

You are 100% correct.  The article is a bit fairy land as most people cannot get that type of part time work that quick.  Also, some agencies have prohibitions on what type of work they can do outside of their government job and in fact, some agencies (IRS for example) require written approval to do outside work in advance of accepting outside employment.  Better check with your agency as I have seen people suspended for not obtaining prior approval.

• RETVET03 says:

Good point…it’s more like an “infomercial”.  You know, all those altruistic millionaires who are sacrificing hundreds of millions giving us their secrets to flipping houses, selling cars, making websites, MLM opportunities, etc……all for just 3 easy payments of $39.99.  And if you call in the next 5 minutes……

• $15300432 says:

If you have to led by the hand no one wants you

20. OldFedOne says:

Some advice..especially if you are close to retirment: 1. if your skill in the Fed is in demand with private sector, form a consulting firm; and LLC or an S-corp. The tax deductions will become immediate obvious and as I have found, I can make more in one day than what i bring home in a government paycheck.

21. TimbreTim says:

Let’s see if a regular commenter posts something like: “No Way!  Feds are overpaid and underworked already.  Allowing them to take part-time private sector jobs just hurts the regular people who can’t find work in this terrible economy.  Feds should be banned from any employment beyond their cushy government jobs which they should be fired from anyway!

• Burgerwars says:

I’m also waiting for the trolls to do their work.

• Greg Morgan says:

Delete my comment!

• Lisa says:

i think you missed the sarcasm

• Greg Morgan says:

sarcasm….sarcasm? It has no business in this mess! Some, unfortunately think we as Federal Employees have cushy jobs doing nothing waltzing off to the Ft Knox repository every 2 weeks. Well, I am here to tell all, this “ain’t” gonna be fun! What the big wigs did NOT put into the equasion: the retailers, there will be no extra money to be spent on luxury items, so, then they mark up their stock, then, Walmart goes up because people are buying less, AND the pain at the pumps will be greater than we have ever experienced because no one has money to buy gas so they will UP their already avaricious pricing! The trickle down effect is gonna hurt the economy if someone doesn’t step in with at least enough knowledge to help us out of this fix. FIRST, we need to cease and desist from International affairs until we get our own back yard cleared, then, we need to put limits on immigration, welfare, and other forms of public assistance where people are taking advantage, then last but not least: We need to stay out of other nations disasters until we clear up our own. I find no humor in any of this and I am telling it like it ’tis, there is no sugar coating this. We used to be the number one super power in the world…a formidable presence in any gathering with a triple A credit rating…..I see exactly what happened. We are too busy fighting  over seas and we forgot about our own! Please, America take heed from this…you see that no one is coming to our aid, so we need to keep our own money in our own banks, pay off the  debts we made and keep a low profile until we become number one again! Theodore Roosevelt’s philosophy was “a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage” (I think It was Theo if I am wrong correct me). What ever happened to the good old days when leaders knew how to run the economy? You don’t see BMW filing bankruptcy, neither did Mercedes, no other country as advanced as America has hit the rocks like we have…and why did we hit the rocks…..being so internationally philanthropic! I can understand helping others in need, but my God, each time there is a disaster we are there first (with borowed millions) in aid to them while our own senior citizens are cutting their prescriptions in half to survive. Isn’t it time America rebuilt our own infrastructure? I heard that Haiti asked us to stop our aid because it was making them lazy, don’t know how true that is but it is something else to think about. People are gaining weight from our help…..except us! Hello meatless Hamburger Helper!

• theinnerring says:

he was waiting for ODW to come along and say feds don’t deserve another job, they’d just be taking away opportunities for others.  chillax, mkay?

• TimbreTim says:

Thanks, and you got it right.  From now on I’m going to preface everything I write.

• $15300432 says:

Some people think feds have cushy jobs??/ Sorry its 75% of the taxpayers who have said poll after poll  that feds are under worked and over paid. If i have to walk a mile in your shoes than I’ll need a week because that’s how long it takes you

• TimbreTim says:

Never mind.

• noreens2 says:

That’s not a completely fair statement, although there is a lot of truth to what you say.. Where I work most of the people are very hard working and conscientious. We support the Military and the last ten years have been very stressful.   Of course there are always lazy people everywhere; the problem is the the government doesn’t do anything about them. These people would never make it in private industry but here in the federal government they just get moved around and moved up in a lot of cases. I’ll never understand why management doesn’t get rid of the do-nothings and replace them with people who would be grateful to have a government job and would be happy to work at it.

• AnonOneTwo says:

TimbreTim, you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.

22. InFedL says:

Some of my upcoming part time furlough positions:

Outdoor Grill Master,  Beer/Wine Taster, Golfer,  Bass Fisherman, Jet Ski Test Pilot,  Surfboard Test Pilot, Windsurfer,  Beach Patrol Inspector, Motorcycle Pilot, Diving/Snorkeling Instructor, Wakeboard/Waterski Meister, Helicopter Student Pilot,  Ice Cream Taster,  Margarita Mixing Master & Gulper, Tourist, Hiker, Long Scenic Getaway Tour Driver, Pool Patrol, etc..  and just totally whooping up with all of my extra vacation time!    I may have missed a few things!   Will have to stock up on some more sunscreen!
    Yipppeeeee!!!!!!!!!!   Yahoooooooeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!   Can”t Wait!    Hurts So Good!    Hopefully,  there will be plenty more additional extra vacation time!    Keep up the good work!    Does not get any better!     Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cowabunga   Woooo    Hoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. ☧ Abigail says:

“Hi, I’m here to apply for a job.  I can work one day, every two weeks.”  Yep.  That’ll get you a job, quicker than you can say “out of control entitlement spending “

Maybe you could apply for one of these jobs…they are still open, despite the sequestration.

Or, we could all see what sort of lame, dishonest response Senator Coburn is given.

24. good article thanks says:

I think Home Depot and WalMart are still hiring Vets. They are are great for supporting them.

25. Jon C. Wilson says:

Ok, so are these positions going to be available when the furlough begins?  You should have said, “if the federal employee has connections to a business entity” because by the time a position is found, applied for, competed against, and hopefully attained, the furlough will be over.  I am not even going to comment on the business owner stuff.  We really don’t need flights of fancy right now.

• fedemployee10 says:

I kind of chuckled at this article also.  I am not sure how you get these positions, and have the businesses agree to only let you work weekends or on days that you are furloughed.

• LikeBuffaloWingsALittleTooMuch says:

I was thinking about this.  Suppose you have 10 days of annual leave banked.

Then during the furlough, you could work just 3 days per week for the government.  The fourth is unpaid furlough, and the fifth is paid annual leave.  That would allow you to work up to 4 days/week for a second employer, until you ran out of annual leave.

So you could avoid a net reduction in salary if you worked the two days/week for an outside employer, at half the hourly rate you get from the government.  It would stink, because you’d burn up your annual leave, but it would at least pay the bills if you could find the work.

Also, if you started the furlough period with 10 days of annual leave, you could actually work the above-mentioned schedule for more than 10 weeks.  That’s because you’d also continue to earn additional annual leave during those 10 weeks.  Suppose you earn 6 hours of annual leave every two weeks.  Then after 10 weeks of doing this schedule, you’d have earned another 30 hours of annual leave.  That would give you about four more weeks of working this schedule, for a total of about 14 weeks.  (Assuming furloughs don’t significantly alter the rate at which annual leave is earned during the sequestration period.)

• Guest says:

That also assumes that the annual leave is approved.

• Noreen Steding says:

I am not positive but I heard that for every 80 hours of LWOP during the furlough we automatically lose pay in the amount equivalent to the hours of sick and annual leave we would have accrued during the 80 hours off.

• $31427826 says:

I’m not 100% positive, but I believe during furloughs, there is an exception.  One day a pay period would not affect your annual or sick leave.  This was one area the unions have bargained over to protect the employees.  So for all the union haters, you can kiss me now or kiss me later, lol

• $15300432 says:

Your wrong and you wasted your $$ on a union

• $31427826 says:

No, I am not wrong, look it up in your Federal Personnel Manual

• LikeBuffaloWingsALittleTooMuch says:

I heard something like that too, but the explanation was a little too convoluted for me to follow.

• guest2 says:

We were told we’d lose 8 hrs annual leave and 4 hrs sick leave for every 80 hours furloughed. Thanks for the shaft Congress!

26. JCW says:

Ok, so we are just supposed to immediately attain these positions after the furlough?  You should have just said, “if the federal employee has connections with a business entity” because by the time a position is found, applied for, and maybe received, the furlough will be over.  And, I am not going to start commenting on the business owner stuff.