Will You Get a Pay Raise in 2014?

By on August 18, 2013 in Current Events, Pay & Benefits with 155 Comments

Based on recent events that have transpired, the prospects of a pay raise for 2014 are looking promising so far.

The Senate Committee on Appropriations recommended fully funding a pay increase for DoD, the President is on record as being in favor of a pay increase, and the House also voted to give a pay increase to the military which helps the case of pay parity.

On top of all of that, federal employees have been under a pay freeze since 2010, so supporters of a pay raise can also use that as evidence of why a raise should be given to the federal workforce.

But 2014 is still a few months off and a lot can happen between now and then.

So we want to know your thoughts – do you think will federal employees get a pay raise next year? How much of a pay increase should they get?

See the results of this survey at FedSmith.com Users Glum on Pay Raise Prospects.

© 2016 Ian Smith. All rights reserved. This article may not be reproduced without express written consent from Ian Smith.

Ian Smith is one of the co-founders of FedSmith.com. He enjoys writing about current topics that affect the federal workforce. Ian also has a background in web development and does the technical work for the FedSmith.com web site and its sibling sites.

1. jensopine says:

Okay – I am a 75 retired clerical worker. Struggled for years to make a decent wage to raise two girls. We had it very hard many years. Thru a temp I bid on a job at a low figure, was hired at 54 years old and worked from $1,200 in 1994 to $2,200 in 2009. Was downsized at 71 years. Both my girls in their mid-40’s and early 50’s worked all their lives through various service jobs trying to raise their family. Now they are working a family cleaning business, one does taxes, holds a real estate license; one is in junior college to counsel teens. One granddaughter has a beauty license for a 2 year course at Paul Mitchell; going to junior college to get her business license; trying to build a client base at a chair she holds in a salon. She also works for her mother assisting in the tax preparations and cleaning of several large homes. She cleans toilets right alongside her aunt and mother. A raise? No not likely. That is not the point. The point is trying to live a little better, afford healthcare, have some retirement put away and breathe. I wonder at the able bodied people in this Country who are struggling to maintain a better life. And I wonder at the leaders of this country who seem to have little understanding of how to achieve a better direction for the people they are supposed to serve.

2. JSTME says:

Is the raise proposed so we will have more to give back in premiums to the “Health Care Act” better known as “Obama Care”? Let’s defund Obabma Care and then talk about a pay raise for all people in America – except Congress since they want to be “Exempt” (Sarcasm)

3. USNJAGLN says:

Wow….reading through some of the comments, it is clear who is disgruntled and has a problem with federal workers getting a pay raise. I’m retired military, now am a federal worker, I have higher education (Master’s Degree), but I make nowhere near $130k….so “average federal salary” or not – that is too vague and quite the blanketed statement. Anyone who thinks federal workers are banking with our paychecks….you have no clue. I would love to be able to pay off my student loan debt with my $130k paycheck (sarcasm), but that’s not really happening on my REAL government paycheck, which is slightly over 1/3 of that amount! It appears that the disgruntled folks posting on here probably have not applied for or qualified for a government job, thus making their opinions moot.

• rbba says:

Retired military and the next federal job and yet you have student loan? Some of us worked our way through college.

• USNJAGLN says:

You don’t know me….Yes, I have student loans because I have a Master’s Degree, I raised my brother’s son, I have guardianship of my elderly grandparents, AND I worked not 2, but THREE jobs while doing all of this. I did much MORE than “work my way through college”. What a hater.

4. Mike N. says:

I am an employee of the DOD. I would love a COLA raise, however, I do NOT believe I have an entitlement to one. I am very grateful to have a full-time job. I worked in the private sector until 5 years ago and have seen both sides of the fence so I think maybe I can shed a little light on this.
    I can absolutely see how a private sector employee could be mad when hearing federal employees complain about not getting a COLA raise, and yes, it is a raise. I know a lot of federal employees like to think of it as something that’s there to keep up with inflation, but it is still a raise. When people in the private sector get a raise it helps them keep up with inflation. More money (no matter the reason) = raise. It’s that simple.
    On the flip side of this coin, federal employees do rely on COLA raises every so often because the potential to gain more income based on skill or knowledge is not normally there. In a private sector job I can demonstrate to my boss that I have a certain skill set and we can then negotiate my pay. In most federal jobs you top out within your particular job title and could easily work at that level with no pay increase, other than COLA, for 20+ years.
    There are pluses and minuses to both sides of this. The private sector offers potentially more reward, but with that comes more risk. Federal employment offers more stability, but your progress is limited. It’s all a choice. I don’t think either side of the argument is really wrong.
    I am married with 4 small children, so for the time being, I need the stability over the earning potential. I have been in my position at the DOD for almost 5 years and I make $56,305 a year. I do not think for a second that it is a terrible wage nor have I stopped being grateful for my job, but I also know that I work extremely hard for my money and am not given anything.
    Anyway, I hope this helps the debate.

• Lois Bever DOD Retired says:

Mike you are so right in your feelings! Those were the same that I had for the last 38 years that I worked for the DOD. I retired 3 years ago and I still am so thankful for what those years provided me. It makes me so made that people that work for the DOD have this mentality that I deserve a raise or cola. Face it people, you have great security and benefits that most people could only dream about and a pay system that most would love to have! DOD has always had the few or many in the cases that I’ve seen that will never be happy. Well, I’ve always said if you don’t like it then leave, there are many who would gladly take your place in the low paying terrible job. Lol

5. Beerad says:

A COLA is sorely needed. While 1% is not much, it will help. Many fellow workers are helping out family members who have lost jobs, houses, looking for work and cannot find anything sustainable. A FED worker usually spends his pay and that money spreads across the community, thus helping the economy.

Also, to the guy who says we make $130K a year vs $56K for private sector, He must have his facts wrong or he works in a better paid outfit than me, as I only know of 4 employees in my operation of over 1250 that make that much and the majority make a whole lot less. What you are probably confused about is paid salary vs costed salary (wherein the Org charges out sometimes 2.5-3.0 times the salary cost just to keep their OH funded. (This is the reason you need to stay in school, kids!)

6. LongtimeAmerican says:

As long as Obama is at the helm, we will continue to be adrift on a boat without a worthy captain. This isn’t the same country I gave my own blood for years ago. We enable the lazy and poor to stay that way, and discourage hard working americans from being responsible citizens. Sad state we are in, but that’s what happens when logic isn’t applied to justification.

7. Conner says:

We will never get it, we need about a 10% raise to make up for the past 3 years of not getting a raise.

8. need early out now says:

just let us get early out and we will all go away-please let us just go and go now we will

9. Jack says:

I am soooo sick of complete idiots saying that the average salary is 130,000 a year. This is complete and utter BS. I am a GS12 Step four which is the average Pay Grade in the DCC area and my pay WITH locality is only 80,000ish. For those that think thats a lot, 80,000 in DC is like 45,000 everywhere else…. my rent is almost 2,000 a month for a two bedroom a partment and going up by a hundred dollars a month or more every year. Contract employees doing my same job are making 120,000 to 150,000 or more. A GS 15 which is the highest grade there is only starts out making 115,000 as a step one, and guess what… every GS 15 that I’ve met is between the age of 55 and 70, so thats not something I can look forward to for a while as I’m only 28. So again… where does this 130,000 number come from? When I was in the Active duty army I took home more pay as a lowly buck sergeant due to the fact that I received a high non taxed allowance of close to 2300 a month for my housing. As a Federal civilian I’m actually expected to pay for my housing out of my pay, which is ironic because I now do much much more work.

• Rambo1957 says:

Idiot is more accurate. Drop the s.

• Regular Jill says:

I’m with you, Jack. I live in “Rest of the US” in the West, am a GS 8 (at this time, this is as high as my position will go), single person, almost have my small home paid off, and will soon be getting a teen grandchild to raise). I have basic cable/phone/internet, 1 credit card with a $1,000 balance, have an early 2000’s vehicle which is paid off and that’s it. I put the max. amount in my TSP, and have now downed my TSP Catch up to $10/month. I can barley make it, and am thinking I’ll have to get a second job soon just to be able to make ends meet. I too, am SOOOOOO tired of the stigma that all Federal employees make B-I-G Bucks. Obama needs to visit “Middle America” and see that we ‘regular federal employees’ DO NOT make even close to $130,000 per year.

• HRGuy71 says:

Note that the $130,000 figure includes all compensation and not just salary for the average federal employee. The salary average is about $80,000 (depending on which federal agency you want to believe).

• Jack says:

Other Compensation????? That sounds like a bunch of BS. We
      have health insurance but my family care plan premiums for BC/BS are ridicules –
      over $200 a pay period. When I was in the Army my premiums AND co pays for
      Tricare were 100% free. So again…. What other compensation??? Dental??
      Vision???? Yes it’s true that we have job security but I wouldn’t exactly put a dollar figure on it. You have to also keep in mind that the majority of Federal Employees live in the DC area where
      the Cost of living is very VERY high. Like I said I’m a 12 here. When I first
      started in upstate NY I was a GS-5. We don’t HAVE GS-5s, GS-7s, or even 9s
      really in my building… almost all of us are 11s, 12s, or 13s with an 11 being
      entry level (I think I met a 9 doing low level secretarial work). When I was in NY a 12 or 13 was someone withmore than 20 years in and holding a supervisory position… usually this
      individual even had their own office. Here in DC were all working in half cubicles
      and doing mid level admin/data analysis or building slides for briefings. I don’t think someone could afford to live ifthey were a GS-5 or GS-7. Already because of the situation I cannot afford to
      buy property within an hour and a half commute of my office. These new “professional
      couples” where both the husband and wife are government contractors making 150K
      or more a piece have drastically driven up the property value with their 300K a
      year of purchasing power so please… I’d like someone to list this 50K a year in
      “other compensation” beyond our salaries that raises the average income to 130K.

• ButterHead says:

MOVE – Quit whinning, I have worked 35 years for the Government and even though at times you want to give it up, you start to look at the ones around you, and you are glad you have a job. Yes, i need the money or i wouldn’t be here but on the other hand, we have it pretty good. There are people out there that work for minimun wage and work hard. I have seen their hands blood red from washing dishes, they get up at 0300 to ensure that their job is done, feeding the sick and what do they get for it besides the pay, Nothing, they hear this is garbage, I wouldn’t feed this to my dog., etc…… so at 28 and already a GS12, I say, stay and quit complaining, or go. By the By, why should you get your housing free, because you have to do much more work? Now, I get it, it the the “I’m entitled generation”.

10. Mike M says:

A 1 to 2 percent pay raise would be very beneficial to federal workers and their families but most importantly a big morale boost for fed workers. Just a little something to help with rising cost and not feel like we as federal workers are getting screwed over year after year.

• mandinka says:

Granted what have you done to justify any raise other than attendance??

• LongtimeAmerican says:

You base your response to him on what, ignorance? I don’t know what you do for a living, but something tells me it’s a job that you don’t get much recognition for. You are full of hatred and lack any semblance of respect for others.

11. jjbling48 says:

Stop Obama, his family and the Dog from going on vacations. That’s how we can receive a pay raise..

12. Marsha Mathieu says:

I can’t even find a job, both my sons are out of work and am living in poverty but the feds want a raise? What’s wrong with that picture? That’s what wrong with out country now….GREED in higher places. Come on give the poor in America some consideration. The feds have more than enough already. Stop giving our money away to other countries and worry about the debt you’ve created here. The feds are destroying our country and letting Americans go without. We need a change in our country and that starts with D.C.

• Lipan says:

The American public needs to understand that the country’s
      economic problems are not caused by the Federal employee. Trying to lay this at
      the feet of the Federal employee is not the solution to the problem. We
      don’t make the decisions regarding how tax dollars are spent/wasted. Look
      to your elected legislator. It is Congress that decides how money is
      spent (460 million to Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood????). That is the kind of abysmal behavior that you
      should be concerned with. Congress sets the pay scales for government
      employees. Federal employees have gone without a raise to cover even the
      cost of living increases that have continued despite the four year pay freeze.
      We took these positions knowing that we will never become rich (that is a
      fact) on the government salary. If you think that Federal employees are
      not having a hard time of the economic situation in this country…..think again.
      Believe it or not, we are tightening up along with the rest of the country.
      The American public needs to wake up to the fact that the Federal
      employee is not the cause of this country’s economic problems. Wake up!!,
      Congress holds the purse strings!!!!

• konc2 says:

Who’s been running this country for the last 5 and 1/2 years? The same party that most Feds vote for, and now you are whinning about how hard it has been? You probably voted for the man that gave 460 million to the Muslim brotherhood. Those who work in the private sector don’t have much sympathy for those who have never lost their job no matter how bad the economy gets. As for a pay raise, my job is going from 40 hours a week to 29 hours a week part time, how’s that for a pay raise, and brought to me by the guy you probably voted for.

• Lipan says:

I’ve worked in the PS. I’ve lost my job due to being laid off….twice (General Dynamics and Altitude Software). Been there done that so don’t wave that flag at me. Also I’m registered republican and vote that way. NEXT!!!

• konc2 says:

Then you more than most Feds know just how hard it can be in the private sector when the economy goes south, so what are you saying, you expect layed off private sector workers to cough up more money they don’t have so you can have a raise? If things are so bad working for the government, I suggest you quit and jump back into the private sector where’s it all rainbows and unicorns and money falling from heaven.

• Fella says:

and general adjustments, while I may agree with your point, don’t come as an added expense to the taxpayers. It’s an assume liability that departments kick in, it’s not given as a 1% increase in budget.

• Fella says:

That’s funny, I’ve worked on RIFs where I’ve taken jobs. My entire family is also employed somewhere in the private sector and none have ever lost their jobs, even in the worst of times. Come to think of it, when I worked in the private sector, I never was laid off either, even at the bottom of the recession. Those big sweeping statements aren’t beneficial to anyone.

• mandinka says:

Being on Welfare is hardly considered to be “employed”

• Fella says:

Do you mean to be implying something?

You’re the worst kind of person. I hope some of things you say make you feel good about yourself. You’re nothing but a troll..

Ending premium pay for feds would save over $100B a year

• StackRat says:

So, what’s stopping you or your sons from applying for a federal job? If you are not qualified, then why complain about people who were qualified and got the federal job?

• dragonbane1@msn.com says:

I’m a single Mom making $15/hour and I work for the Fed. I feel very lucky to have the job that I have, but I am certainly NOT greedy or rich! I can barely make my bills! This “raise” is not a raise. It is an inflation adjustment. Gas is going up, healthcare costs are going up, food is getting mroe expensive, taxes are rising. This “raise” is supposed to help me at LEAST stay even. A real raise is an INCREASE in the amount you make, your spending power.

13. Steve Neal says:

I’m going to keep searching for another job to meet my pay-raise expectations.
    Feds are not going to see a significant pay raise until 2020, or whenever we start paying-down the national debt. For now, it might be 1% every other year or so…

14. HR Manager (Retired) says:

Forget making a prediction. Instead if you want a raise use the time to find out when and where your
    Congressional rep is having a town hall meeting and make plans for you and your fellow co-workers to attend. In advance of your attendance prepare a short minute or so speech outlining/addressing why
    your feel it is time Federal employees deserve to get a raise. Encourage your friends to do the same and
    even compare notes so that your rep gets a variety of reasons. Finding out where and when town hall meetings are held is easy – just get on your rep’s e-mail list and you will be automatically notified. Now is a perfect time to get your point across as most reps are having town halls while they are on vacation (remember Congress has not been in session all month and does not return until Sept). I live in a district
    where Federal employment is king and we, a group of Federal retirees and business owners, have been attending town halls so that our rep knows what we need. As current employees you have friends among us so take advantage of this by aligning with those who can help you. Also, remember it is difficult for
    a rep to walk away at one of his/her town hall meetings so you have a capacitive
    audience. Be respective, factual and to the point.

• mandinka says:

Make sure you leave out that the avg Fed makes $130,000 a year has a golden retirement parachute and aren’t accountable

• Rambo1957 says:

Not worth bothering but everyone notices this contention can’t be backed up by a simple copy of one article to read.

• StackRat says:

Yeah, I’ll let the GS 5s and GS 7s I work with know that they’re making an average $130K a year. But I’ll need to catch them because many have already headed out the door to get jobs paying thousands more in the private sector.

• mandinka says:

Working 20 hours a week and being unaccountable?? there aren’t any jobs in the private sector with those kind of circumstances

• retired worker fed says:

Another error on your part. We are accountable to our managers. And yes there is a second mistake. We work 40 hours, but not like robots. Maybe your error rate is 96%.

• mandinka says:

Its even been on Fedsmith TWICE…guess reading isn’t something your good at

• Rambo1957 says:

So you should have no problem finding any article stating that the average federal employee salary is $130,000 per year. Find it. Post it. At least, find the name of the article and post it if you don’t know how to post a link.

• mandinka says:

at the top of Fedsmith you can google articles that have appeared in Fedsmith. Its been reported on twice in the past 10 months

• MontanaMom1 says:

Dear HR Manager retired,
        Not every retired government employee receives the $130K average retirement annuity. After 39 years of service, my husband’s take home monthly annuity is just over $2000 after deductions. My 12 to 13 years of service monthly annuity when I retire will be $500 or less depending on deductions.
        I would truly appreciate a small cost of living increase some time during my last years of working for the government.
        We have a 12 year old daughter. We will continue to contribute to her college fund and anticipate to have it paid in full before she enrolls.
        One other thought that comes to mind is the fact that the reduction in the Social Security payroll taxes did nothing but hurt the collections to the Social Security Fund; it was a poor choice by our political leaders to stimulate the economy. That was a dismal effort. I was happy that the SS tax rate was reinstated but I feel the damage has been done and the SS Fund will never recover.
        I appreciate seeing young new employees being hired in the Federal Service; however lavishing the youngest employees with no experience with the career ladder promotions is only hurting existing employee morale. The retention incentive for the young will only encourage retirement of the knowledge based career professionals.

• mandinka says:

You do know that only retirees receive a COLA

• retired worker fed says:

I am sure she knows that. We mistakenly interchange COLA for an increase in pay that matches the private sector. Too bad that has not been done for many years in spite of the Pay Comparatiblity Act(name may be off) of 1990.

• mandinka says:

No the deal was that Fed pay would approximate the private sector, Seeing as how the avg Fed makes $130,000 a year and the avg taxpayer only $56K it will be a long time before Feds should ever receive a raise.
            And no 80% of feds think they get COLA, thanks to their unions

• retired worker fed says:

Yes, the deal was that our pay would approximate the private sector. Your application of average pay is another mistake on your part because you must compare the jobs and abilities. We have less part timers, and lower ability jobs than the private sector. The paymaster has shown us to be 26% behind. If you criticize the study, then you should also note that no new study took place. So, the study is valid until a new study comes out. Good try Mandinka, but your 96% accuracy rate is clearly senseless like your other comments.

• Steve Neal says:

I believe you are correct, as the BLS report stands uncontested! Good assessment and personal attack…

• retired worker fed says:

Average fed does not make $130000. The average fed is the median fed. Your stat is spiked by high paid people. Find out the median figure. Again your comments about golden parachutes and being not accountable are stupid. We have none of them.

• mandinka says:

Guess math isn’t your friend avg is just what I said. You may not like the number but that is immaterial

• retired worker fed says:

In another words, you like to twist facts to suit your negative attitudes towards federal workers. You must be severely disgruntled that you are (were) incapable of getting a so called gravy job. And no, I am reasonably competent in math.

15. Pa says:

I don’t know how the country can give employees a raise.
    Unemployment has not gone away, increasing numbers are now on food stamps, and social security rolls are increasing with young people – and seniors. Less people are paying federal taxes – but more money is going out.

• Cal says:

Tell them to get a job. They cannot find enough help all over the West, because the oil boom is sucking everyone up. If they cannot get a job its because they are lazy and handing them money is not going to solve the problem

• RK says:

All these individuals that are not working are choosing not to work and need to get a job. The government is bleeding money becasue we have to many lazy people in our country who feel like they do not have to work. Why would they want to work when we give them our hard earned money while they sit an play video games and play with there free phones. The young people need to stop sitting on their butts.

• retired worker fed says:

I am a fed. However, your comment is false. Many unemployed want jobs. They also want jobs with decent (not extravagant) pay and benefits such as medical and vacation. This is not unreasonable. You cannot support a family on minimum wages and no medical. And stop it with the young people. I was young once and did my best to get a decent job. I know, to some degree, what they are going through.

• RK says:

Ok so lets continue to make excuses for individuals that do not want to work for it is far easier to collect food stamps, housing, and cell phones by not working. Your comments do not make sense everyone was young that is how you make it to adulthood. I have worked many jobs without benefits to put food on the table and pay my morgage and have worked 3 jobs with only 4 hours of sleep a night. So again lets stop making excuses for people and it is not just the young people but all the people on government assitances (Free money) allowing them to get free money for doing nothing. If you work you should be tired of paying for people who do not work more and more of your TAXES will go to these individuals. Myself I am tired of it. Wake up Moderate you are part of the problem.

16. Pa says:

I thought all govt employees have the same benefits?

• AvgFed says:

Sort of. The benefits vary in value in accordance with salary. If 75% of health insurance is paid by the employer, the employee pays 25%. That 25% of an employee with a small salary is a large part taken out of take home pay. That 25% is not that much if you are a physician or some one with a $100,000 yearly salary.

17. BB says:

I would say no pay raise because the politicians only worry about their own. They should not have any better benefits than the rest of us, i.e. pay into social securty, same type health care, retirement, etc.

• HR Manager (Retired) says:

They only care about themselves because we allow them to do so. If we do not expressly let them know what we want they will simply ignore us. If we want something, a pay raise, better benefits or anything else, it is up to us to make our feelings known. Yet, too many of us simply take the easy way out and complain instead of dealing directly with our reps and holding them accountable. I and many other retirees attend our rep’s town hall meetings so he knows that we are keeping up with what he is or is not doing for us. Current employees need to do the same.

18. frankg962 says:

Let’s face it – as long as Obama is in office the Republicans in Congress will oppose anything he proposes. End of story – I don’t expect to see a pay raise until 2016 assuming a Republican wins the election then, if, Hillary or some other Dem wins, all bets are off.

• wombat1951 says:

So you are a Step 10 employee with no possibility of promotion? Even if a Step 9, you get a 3% raise after 3 years. Did you just have one? If so and it was not to Step 10, you’ll get another one in 3 years.

And you are in a situation where there is no opportunity for a QSI or cash award or bonus? Possible of course.

Just to clarify — the GS schedule “pay freeze” [which did NOT freeze in grades or promotions or bonuses etc] was instituted when the Dems fully controlled both chamber of Congress.

And also for the record — appropriations bills passed so far by the House do not preclude a raise as has been the case during the freeze. But additional money for any raise was also not appropriated. The Appropriations Committee stated on the topic:

“The Committee does not include requested funding for a civilian pay increase. Should the President provide a civilian pay raise for fiscal year 2014, it is assumed that the cost of such a pay raise will be absorbed within existing appropriations for fiscal year 2014.”

This means that Obama will have the authority to grant a raise if he so chooses, but it must be funded from the overall appropriations for running agencies.

• Robert Meyers says:

If you were making assumptions, I think there is a greater chance that Hillary will be president than Paul or cruz

• Fella says:

While I agree, he is correct about that general adjustments and most people don’t know that.

• PA says:

Hillary should never win after Benghazi! The American diplomatic mission at Benghazi, in Libya, was attacked on September 11, 2012.
          The attack began at night.. A second assault the next day targeted a nearby CIA annex in a different compound. Four people were killed, including U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens. This should end her career! I would have voted for her before – not now!

• Robert Meyers says:

Should and will are 2 different words. Asd as you nominate radical righties, you will learn to speak DEMOCRATIC.

• Pat Fucile says:

You are kidding right? The presidential candidates the republicans have put up for years are moderates. But then, I guess they seem radical right when the Democrat candidates are extreme radical left.

• Rambo1957 says:

Pat, I tried to discuss with him on another topic. He is very similar to Dennis. You won’t get anywhere.

• irdeggman says:

Was Palin a moderate?
            Is Ryan?
            Both were added to the ticket to energize the base.
            McCain was at one time a true moderate who worked cooperatively with his counterparts, but after his failed run to gain the nomination the first time he embraced the edges (although not as much as other candidates did).
            Romney was/is the ideal representative of what the conservative economic policies are based on despite his image and demeanor. He did nothing illegal to earn his fortune but did take advantage of just about every tax advantage he could to get there. He is a true representantive of what “trickle down economics” yields.
            All of the other primary candidates representated the non-moderate wings of the party (in both elections).

• Rambo1957 says:

Republicans are expected to be moderate. What is a moderate? Someone who can be talked out of what they believe in? The problem with the Republican Party is that they allow people outside the party to define them. You bring up Palin but its her demeanor people don’t like. A woman that doesn’t back down. Death panels? Now people are complaining about just that. Ryan? He’s extreme because he wants spending under control. Obama? Moderate? Please.

• irdeggman says:

You need to define what you mean by “moderate” then. I believe we are talking about 2 different things. My point of reference for a moderate is someone who does not embrace either extreme and someone who is willing to work with those who have different beliefs in order to do what is best for the country.
            By the way it is not Palin’s demeaner that people don’t like (her demeanor whould be not backing down – same as Hillary Clinton.). What people don’t like about Palin is her absence of true knowledge about things she was talking about and insisting that they were factual statements – far too many examples to list properly, all one has to do is quickly check any of the fact checking websites (and most of them are non-partisan since they also routinely list the President’s unfactual statements too).
            I do believe that there are a lot of non-extremeists in the Rublican Party but that their voices get drowned out by the extremists.
            And I do think that the President has many aspects of “moderate” in him, even if his personal beliefs are not quite. Examples – how long did it take him to take a public stance about same-sex marraige (a non-moderate would have quickly jumped on that one), his stances on gun control are much more moderate than a lot of those in the Democratic Party and his expressed desire to “talk” to people with different views about it is a moderate aspect – especially since he was always trying to include discussions of mental health issues as being part of the problem.
            Bringing up “Death Panels” is an example of arguments people use that are not based in fact – every single analysis of the ACA has determined that was an untrue assertion.
            Ryan is not a moderate because of the way he wishes to get spending under control, and several of of his basis are actually faulty. But I will give him a lot of credit for making the attempt to do an analysis and that is indeed something that both sides should use to work on and not attempt to protect their respective “white elephants”.

• Pat Fucile says:

Well if not being knowledgeable is a disqualifier, how did Obama get elected. He didn’t know how many states there were (57). In the 2012, he said things like there are aircraft carriers and submarines now, and the military doesn’t use bayonets any more. Really? Aircraft carriers have been around since WWII, the first submersible was tried during the Revolutionary war, and submarines in the Civil War, and guess what, the military still uses bayonets. But hey, the liberal media won’t print the truth about Obama’s many intellectual (or other) shortfalls. The media is also all about telling lies about Republicans. (and don’t take this as a endorsement of Republicans, they are idiots too)

• irdeggman says:

What “disqualifier” – why bring in a different topic? I said that what people didn’t like about Palin was not her demeanor but the fact that she was unknowledgeable and asserted she was.
            The point of the President’s assertion of aircraft carriers, etc. was not about whether they existed but the fact that the military concepts and operational basis has changed over the years – those were metaphors to discribe a different mind set of military actions. More technical equipment (and thus much, much more expensive) and extended areas of control (or influence) is completely different than it was even during the Vietnam era.
            I agree with media not presenting fully rounded discussions (it is extremely difficult to find any non-biased stories anymore – you have to look and decipher bits and pieces). But a lot of this comes from people’s attention span being reduced to sound bytes and 20 second headlines, the major reason print newspapers are folding. We are living in Jerry Springer world where people would rather engage in quick arguments and talking points than in any true meaningful discussion about how to actually get anything done.

• Pat Fucile says:

Excuse me? You brought in a different topic by even mentioning Palin. I talked about PRESIDENTIAL candidates, you brought in the VPs. No, the president didn’t bring that in to show things changed, because if he had, he would have known all those “changes” had been already around for a long time.

• irdeggman says:

You said “candidates” not Presidential candidates. It is a well known historical fact that the parties present a “package” in order to best capture their targeted audiences. So to exclude half the package is a misdirection.
            In both campaigns the GOP chose the most moderate candidate they had from the primaries – but even that was only moderate by comparison and was more than balanced out by their running mates – the net effect of not being “moderate”.
            If the entire debate was paid attention to and not the “sound bytes” then it was clear that the President was referring to how to fund the military – Gov Romney was talking about flat across the board increases in military spending (no specifics) and the President was trying to say that things are different and that there needed to be an analysis of what should be done and not “across the board” increases – i.e., the way things were done in the past is not the way things are done now. That is don’t just say “I will increase military spending by XXX amount” instead say that the miitary’s mission needs to be evaluated and then propose appropriate increases (not his exact words but clearly the intent). The President did not say that he wouldn’t increase military spending he only said that things are different than in the past – remember that the largest cost of military spending is personnel. We have progressed into a less personnel intensive military (e.g., drones).

• Pat Fucile says:

You sure about that? And typically, a presidential candidate picks somebody that isn’t a carbon copy of their view to help balance out the ticket, but lets face it, it is the presidential candidate you are voting for. And Obama a moderate? HAHAHAHAHA, he’s so far left he’s out in the Andromeda Galaxy.

• Pat Fucile says:

Neither Palin or Ryan were the presidential nominees, and neither one even ran in the primaries.. Apparently you don’t know the difference between a presidential candidate and the VP candidate that the presidential candidate picks. McCain is so far left as a republican he might as well switch parties. Romney wasn’t about as middle of the road as you can get. While Romney was pretty darn liberal when he was younger, he did learn from the errors of his ways and move more right, but still he isn’t what any true conservative would consider anything but moderate. The fact that he won out over more conservative candidates speaks volumes. And everybody, even very liberal democrats take advances of every tax break they can get, that includes people like Pelosi, Reid, Biden and even Obama.

• enjoyingthejob says:

as a matter of fact I am a step 10 and have been for at least 5 years. So no possibility of QSI, step increase and bonus/cash award is a joke at this point. don’t believe anyone in the current administration will approve raise, Congress still using feds as a scapegoat. I wouldn’t trade my job for anything in private industry because I do value job security and I love what I do.. I have been a fed for over 32 years and I will retire in a few years.

• mandinka says:

sounds like you need to thank the taxpayers for their generosity

• StackRat says:

Taxpayers (and those who pay no taxes, but get service anyway) need to thank enjoyingthejob and other feds for the sacrifices they make on a daily basis, some even dying to protect our borders and our country. Their reward is getting snotty and ignorant insults from those who troll websites such as this and peddle disinformation.

• mandinka says:

Sacrifices that feds make?? You mean like not having the soda machine stocked with their favorite beverage. Or the ice cream machine on the fritz?? Those kinds of sacrifices?

• Tiredofitall says:

Not true. Those who got caught in NSPS, now IPMS, lost their steps. We are in limbo. Without an actual pay raise, we get no in-steps, nothing, as the pay boards are rigged.

• AvgFed says:

So true – and frankg962 and Moderate need to remember that it was Obama that started the pay freeze. Then Congress ran with it.

• retired worker fed says:

A better idea would be to get rid of the Republicans.

• Rambo1957 says:

If you are referring to types like Boehner or McCain, I agree. If you are naive enough to think your lot would improve with Democrats running The Senate AND The House you are kidding yourself. You want no balance.

• mandinka says:

With barak adding $10T to the national debt its the republicans that are all that is separating us from becoming another Haiti

• The Master says:

I see math isn’t something you can grasp. National debt went from $10trillion to $16trillion. That’s $6trillion, not $10trillion. Ask a first grader to explain it to you.

19. 24plusyrs says:

I’m certainly not holding my breath for a pay raise this year. I’m thankful for my federal job, but I’m ready to move on. Hoping for early retirement soon (next few years) so that I can take that ultimate cut in pay.

20. Rambo1957 says:

I think there will be a raise this year. A guess is 1.5%. Mid terms are coming up. Enough given to give Feds some hope that this may be over yet not so much to piss off the rest of the country.

• mandinka says:

Put your $$ where your mouth is

• irdeggman says:

I think your logic on this is sound. I am not sure about the amount nor the timing. If they give a 1.5% raise in October (fiscal year start) it will be almost a year prior to the mid-term elections and people will “forget” so the good will they would be trying to foster would get lost. I am thinking it might be next year when they go into a fight over the debt ceiling (again) but right before the elections.
      The other issue they need to try to do is something to remove themselves from the hot seat on the budget and debt ceiling issues – so something as “trivial” as a token raise might have that effect for a short time.

21. Steve says:

I’d expect pay reduction instead. 1% reduction in all pay scales. GS7 and below can take a larger hit, 5% loss, as the ideals of this government is to punish the lower end workers who make a contribution to society.

22. Shuddidd Downn says:

Who Cares? Looking forward to a nice long extended government shutdown and hopefully, plenty more furlough days! Better than any raise. Definitely enjoying every minute of all the extra additional vacation time off. Does not get any better. Please keep it coming. Can’t Wait! Have lots of plans for all the extra additional time off, long weekends, and well deserved breaks. Hoping for another shutdown lasting at least a few weeks. Something to look forward to. All the mini vacations have been great. Loving every second! An extremely simple no-brainer solution would be to offer Early-Outs to all eligible federal workers. However, Congress loves federal employees so much that they do not want a single federal worker to retire early. All the vacations and time off are starting to wear me out! Yippppppppppppeeeeee Yahooooooooeeeeeeee!!!!!
    Terrific practice for retirement!

• mandinka says:

You can go any time you please

• T says:

Also means he/she is non-essential which means we probably don’t really need you anyway, kinda like we don’t need six guys mopping a 10×10 area and watching wax dry for eight hours a night. MAJOR waste with a lot of employees in the federal government, but that’s what they do for “vets” that can’t hack it in the real world. I’m a RN for the VA hospital and I can guarantee I’ll NEVER be furloughed.

• Mollie says:

Lucky you. We just finished up our furloughs last Friday. By the beginning of last week, we were told by upper management that we can start working credit hours again in order to start catching up on our work. I’m sure soon after the new FY starts in 2014, they’ll tell us to start working OT and comp time to continue catching up on our workload. How ridiculous. I must say I enjoyed my furlough days and will miss them as soon as I work my first full 5-day workweek again, but I’m not one who work will OT just to catch up on things I couldn’t work on because I was furloughed.

• irdeggman says:

Your management needs to check out the conditions of the furlough. The DoD guidelines (each dept is different I guess) specifically stated that OT was not to be used to mitigate loss of schedule due to furlough days. The current OT plans require major hurdles (and the most senior management approval) to be jumped in order to get approval and the OT need must be based on mission essentiality.
          Now if after a budget is approved all bets are off (I don’t have a lot of faith in seeing anything more than continuing resolutions and stop gap line specific budgets in the near future.)

• smwboxer says:

I guess you’re rich and don’t miss the money you are losing by not working?

23. Fed_Peasant says:

Whatever happened to pay for performance?? LOL!!!!

• Jimmybazball says:

They canned it because it was working to our advantage… From what I understand (I’m one of them) the 25% that we’re doing exceptional work and got good reviews and ended making above the step 10 in the grade they’re in and have become step-00. A step-00 will not get a pay raise (not matter what) until the step-10’s meet what we are making.. And, as an added bonus we get 1/2 of any COL that the rest get… I’m not complaining, but that’s a pretty poor way to treat top perfomers..

24. let me out of here says:

nobody will say pay parity-that went away in 2010
    just let us get early out and we will all go away

25. wombat1951 says:

Many will get a raise no matter what Congress does WRT the overall GS schedule.

About a third will qualify for the regular “in grade” raise that is virtually automatic. This is around a 3.5% hike on average.

Another 15% to 20% will get promoted.

Another 10%+ will get a bonus, a QSI, or a cash award.

Of course, some employees will get more than one of the above, which means that the %’s don’t add up to a single number.

Meanwhile in the private sector, unemployment is still over 7.4% — and is actually worse than that, because this number is calculated by a formula that uses the size of the workforce as one of the inputs, and THAT number is shrinking. If the workforce were just the same size as when Obama took office, the “official” unemployment rate would be about 10.5%. And as the stats have shown, a large % of what new jobs ARE being created are low paying and part time.

Federal government employees are still well paid, with great benefits, and some of the best job security there is. Whining about not getting across the board pay hikes for a few years while their fellow citizens are still struggling to find employment and while a record number of them are on food stamps is unseemly.

• Santanapie says:

There are no QSIs or cash awards with the sequester, at least at my agency.

• TheRealOldFed says:

You are wrong. OPM says no bonuses including QSI’s during the sequester. Hiring is frozen, no way to get promoted. Hoping for a VSIP so I can retire.

• rockstar says:

apply for a federal job then…if is so better…

• Rambo1957 says:

You don’t think, all in all, that with the benefits offered along with pay and opportunities it isn’t? Then you need to try the private sector. Save up enough to retire on. Good luck finding a defined pension plan. Let us know how that works out. You know, some federal employees are actually grateful and open minded to what they have. Some have even worked outside the government.

• formerIRS says:

The average % increase for a within grade is between 2 and 3 %, however, these are not realized every year after step 4. For someone at a step 4,5,and 6, there is a 2 year wait for the next WGI. This reduces the annual increase to approx .1 1/4% tro 1 1/2 %. For someone at a step 7, 8, or 9, the wait for the WGI is 3 years. which would come out to an annual increase of approximately 3/4% to 1%. This is hardly around 3.5% per year on average, since most employees are over step 4 and do not get a WGI every year.

• wombat1951 says:

Pulled of a copy of the current GS Schedule, and did around a dozen calculation of the % increase in several grades at several step levels to see what the actual % raise was — it was at or over 3% in every case. There may be some that are less, but if so, they would be the minority. So no — not 3.5% as I wagged it, but 3%.

And my original comment did NOT claim that there was an ANNUAL average of 3.5% raise via in-grades, but that about a third, on average, of Fed employees would qualify for an in grade — which seems to be 3% on average — this year. And again next year. Etc.

• Fella says:

Will you please explain what “meanwhile in the private sector, unemployment is still over 7.4%” means? You do realize unemployment is a whole, and the public sector doesn’t have it’s “own” percentage, right? People that have been RIF’d are part of that number, including those who’ve taken DSR (discontinued service retirement). While I think I know what you’re getting at with your comment, that part makes you sound like you don’t understand unemployment.

• wombat1951 says:

Sure 🙂 My comment was simply to point out that Federal employees are NOT losing their jobs at anywhere near the overall rate of private sector employees.

As to RIFs — there have been very few, if any, in the last several years. While there is lots of chatter about possible RIFs, I could not find a single instance of any significant RIF at all that was done in the last few years. While there may be a few, the number is so small as to be statistically insignificant to the overall unemployment rate number. The same would be true of DSRs — a rare occurrence in the Federal work force.

• Gubmint Worker says:

You are so wrong about so many things. Your figures are pulled out of the air and have no basis in fact. You don’t even appear to know what statistically significant means.First, check out the most recent BLS statistics and you will see job loss is greater in the public sector than in the private sector. WGIs are not 3.5%,
          and significantly less than that on a per annum basis. DoD has freeze on cash
          awards. Nobody is getting QSIs. A record number of people are on food stamps
          and I see a record number are exchanging them for cash (30%) which is unseemly
          for a government that claims it can’t pay its workforce.

• Fella says:

My experience is a little different. I think you’re right to some extent, but there were plenty of RIFs from BRAC 2006 (came to fruition in 2011). That being said, it didn’t necessarily lower the number of federal employees since they function just moved to another place and they had to restaff there, but RIFs none the less.
          Are private sector employees still losing their jobs at an alarming rate? I know AOL is doing soem downsizing, but do you have any other examples? I’m not arguing, I’m literally only asking because I’m not sure private sector employees are losing that many jobs anymore.

26. mandinka says:

Pay parity?? How about work parity… Its time to stop these attendance raises and go to what the private sector does raises based on performance.
    AS for the claim that there hasn’t been under a pay freeze since 2010 is just nonsense. The avg Fed received pay increases of over $3500 during that time frame

27. Karen Ann Wilson-Davis says:

How about you not furlough me and you keep your crappy 1%. So sick of this already!

28. Lee_Lucas says:

If its going to be 1 percent, what’s the use. 0.25 percent in each of the last 4 years? Obamanation

29. Ryan Billings says:

While a pay raise would be nice, especially following furlough. I seriously doubt it will happen and wont believe it will happen until it acutally deposits into the bank