Adding CSRS Offset Time to FERS or CSRS Employment Years

By on October 28, 2014 in Q&A, Retirement with 7 Comments

Q: In 1975 I entered Federal employment under CSRS. then resigned in 1981, and withdrew my retirement contributions. I re-entered fed employment in 1984 under CSRS Offset and transferred to FERS in 1987, then resigned and withdrew my retirement contributions. I later re-entered fed employment in 1994 under FERS. I have paid back all retirement withdrawals allowed, plus interest. When my retirement is calculated over 30 years in service, will my CSRS Offset time be added to the CSRS years, or the FERS years?


John Grobe’s latest book, The Answer Book on Your Federal Employee Benefits, has just been released by LRP Publications. The book is written in an easy to understand question and answer format and covers all areas of federal benefits from the perspective of an employee at various stages of their career. Order your copy at

© 2016 John Grobe. All rights reserved. This article may not be reproduced without express written consent from John Grobe.


About the Author

John Grobe is President of Federal Career Experts, a consulting firm that specializes in federal retirement and career transition issues. He is also affiliated with TSP Safety Net. John retired from federal service after 25 years of progressively more responsible human resources positions. He is the author of Understanding the Federal Retirement Systems and Career Transition: A Guide for Federal Employees, both published by the Federal Management Institute. Federal Career Experts provides pre-retirement seminars for a wide variety of federal agencies.