Christmas is a joyful time of year. For some, it can be a stressful time of year, too. From gift giving to high travel costs, the effects of a commercialized Christmas aren’t noticeable until January’s credit card statement arrives.
Fortunately, an abundance of businesses across the nation show their appreciation for your service to our country through Christmas federal employee discounts. Whether you’re searching for the right gift for a loved one, flying home, needing a place to stay, hungry for a bite to eat, or preparing a New Year’s resolution, don’t miss out on these Christmas deals for federal employees.
You’ll be amazed by how many stores offer federal employee discounts – but most often only if you ask. Not all stores advertise their discount programs but the savings are there, waiting for you to claim them. Other stores offer discounts based on the manager, such as:
- American Eagle
- Banana Republic
- Lady Foot Locker
- Pac Sun
Whether you are shopping for a loved one, a friend, or even yourself, check out these stores:
- Eddie Bauer’s Pro-Deal Program. If you know an avid hiker, outdoorsman, or if you have a ski trip planned for this winter, consider shopping at Eddie Bauer. As a government certified guide, you can reap discounts through this program.
- Gift Basket Villas. This company offers flower arrangements and gift baskets at a 10% discount for federal employees. All you have to do is enter Fed10 in the code box.
- Tanzanite. Those federal employees ready to pop the question won’t need to give an arm and a leg to the jeweler. A click away, this company offers a 10% federal employee discount by using EXECTAN code at checkout.
- Etsy. Buy handmade items from creative entrepreneurs and find things you can’t find anywhere else. Use coupon code FED10 to save 10% off gift baskets at the ForestMillGifts store.
Don’t limit yourself to the big stores, either. Small businesses often have more wiggle room in setting prices – and they may even present you with a discount as part of the holiday spirit.
Technology constantly evolves, which makes it difficult to own the newest gadget and stay ahead of the curve. Tech gadgets are also expensive. If you’re a federal employee, however, you can get the latest device without dropping a pretty penny.
- Computers. Mac users can receive up to a 15% discount through Apple’s military government purchase program. PC users can find government-friendly discounts through Dell and Microsoft.
- Wireless. Several wireless companies offer discounted rates for personal mobile service or devices. All you need is your federal email to find out if you qualify for AT&T’s government discounts. Other phone companies, like T-Mobile and Verizon, also offer discounts or reward cards (applicable toward the purchase of a new phone or accessory, or monthly bill payment).
- Cloud backup. Accidental file deletion can occur when using a computer. However, if you use your federal government discount to purchase Carbonite, it will protect your important documents if this accident happens.
There’s nothing like being home for Christmas. With pricey airfares, increased car rental prices, and inflated nightly hotel fees, it’s not always practical – unless you are a federal employee.
- Airlines. You can receive flight discounts online through JetBlue. Contact American Airlines or Southwest directly to find out their discounts.
- Hotels. Holiday lodging can be difficult to manage. Whether your whole family is traveling together and you need a place to stay, or you are looking to take a vacation, you can find rooms worldwide with Marriot and Hyatt. La Quinta and Holiday Inn also offer government discounts. Don’t forget to show them your government ID at check-in.
- Lodging. If you’re bored of staying in the same old hotel rooms, try renting an Airbnb room. Whether an apartment, a castle, or a villa, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences. Get $35 in travel credit as a new user.
- Car rentals. If you enjoy road trips, have a short distance to travel, or want to avoid flying, take advantage of your federal employee status by renting a car through Enterprise, Dollar, Alamo, Avis, or Hertz.
- Cruises. Does your idea of a white Christmas consist of sandy white beaches instead of snow? FedCruise grants discounts for current and former federal employees. They also have connections with major cruise lines and will scout out deals for you. FedCruise only requires a government email address to access their cruise deals. If you don’t have a government email, you can contact them directly.
Did your cooking extravaganza at Thanksgiving wear you out? Are you traveling between families at Christmas and New Year’s? Keep an eye out for these restaurant discounts that offer a 10% discount to federal employees:
- The Hard Rock Café
- TGI Friday’s
- Applebee’s (call ahead to confirm discount because it can depend on the franchise)
Be sure to mention the discount to your waiter or waitress prior to ordering.
As you plan a few New Year’s resolutions, be sure to check out these savings:
- Fitness. If you have personal goals, you can achieve them at a discounted rate through Gold’s Gym and XSport Fitness. If you currently attend another gym, ask if it offers a federal discount (or will match any discounts offered by local competitor gyms).
- Date night. Your marriage is important. If it’s been too long since you and your spouse have spent quality time together, consider contacting NannyPro. Receive their large federal employee discount and plan for a date night. Use the code Fedsave.
- Professional resume advice. If you are applying for a new job and need to brush up the resume, try ResumeEdge. It offers 10% federal discounts so your hard earned qualifications can be effectively communicated to your future employer.
- Moving. If you’ll be relocating soon, try using a portable moving unit to get the job done quickly and conveniently. Pods offers a 5% discount to Feds. Use promo code R101.
- Bank checks. Save 10% on your next order of checks with coupon APCHECKS10.
Online Shopping That Gives Back
Another great source for federal employee discounts is Ebates, a free membership site that offers cash back on online shopping. Ebates is more than just discounts for current and former federal employees. With this service, you can receive a percentage of nearly all of your purchases.
The site has over 2,000 brands, including Under Armour, Oakley, GoPro, The North Face, Spy, and 5.11 Tactical. It also offers a variety of products, including apparel, shoes, jewelry, eyewear, Major League Baseball tickets, Spartan Race discounts, AMC movie ticket discounts, and multiple hotel chain deals. Ebates can save you up to 40% off the normal retail price.