With unemployment hitting some scary levels as of late there seems to be one entity that is almost unaffected by the trend; the government.
The government is not only continuing its strong hiring that it conducts each year, but bucking the employment trend. The government is also getting ready to add more jobs. Yes, the government is boning up to do some massive hiring and if you are in the job market for a government job then this may be a great opportunity for you.
It makes sense when you think about it. After all the Federal Government is the nation’s leading employer and no matter what the economic environment may be there are always going to be government jobs that are considered ‘mission critical’ and therefore must always be filled. But along with the tons of mission critical jobs the government is also seeking to add to its employee field about 193,000 new jobs over the next couple of years according to Partnership for Public Service.
These new jobs that will be made available will be in many different areas of expertise and even if you have zero experience as a government employee, if you have the right set of skills and live in the right place, you may be eligible to start an exciting new career with the Federal Government. Using information from Partnership for Public Service, here are the five fields that are expected to explode over the next couple of years:
- 62,863 New Jobs: Protection, Security, Compliance, and Enforcement.
- 35,350 New Jobs: Public and Medical Health.
- 21,248 New Jobs: Budget, Business, and Accounting.
- 17,477 New Jobs: Science and Engineering.
- 14,305 New Jobs: Analysis, Administration, and Program Management.
These fields will represent a wealth of new job openings at the Government level and they only scratch the surface. The Government will need to further continue to fill its other various jobs and it is being suggested that as the next couple of years shape up there may even be more new job growth than is currently expected.
The next logical question then is where are all these Federal Government job openings going to be?
Yes, the Government will be hiring nationwide but there are obviously going to be certain areas of the country that will fill more of the positions than the others. The larger metro areas of the United States will of course offer more in the way of a need for Government jobs to be filled, but some of the top ten places for Government hiring may in fact surprise you. Using data from 2008, here is a list of the top ten cities to be in or around if you are hoping to cash in on the Government job hiring spree:
- Washington D.C.: No shock here really as D.C. is the home of the Government and much of the important Government work that gets done in the United States. In 2008 Washington D.C. saw almost 1.5 million job postings. While the number may be different this year, it is still sure to be up there.
- San Antonio, Texas: In 2008 San Antonio saw about 350,000 job postings. Obviously this pales in comparison to D.C. but the number of openings still represents a lot of opportunity.
- Atlanta, Georgia: Here is a name you would expect to see near the top. In 2008 Atlanta only lagged behind San Antonio by about 30,000 job postings and is bound to be the home of a good number of the new positions that the government is looking to fill in the next couple of years.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: In 2008 Philly offered up 190,000 Government job postings. The city that is known for its Cheese Steaks is also a great place to be if you are trying to gain Government employment.
- New York, New York: 2008 saw 181,000 job postings for the big city and there are sure to be a number of new security jobs that are going to be flooding in over the next couple of years.
- Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas: As you can see Texas is certainly a good area to be in of you are in the hunt for a Government job. This particular area saw 180,000 job postings in 2008 and will more than likely continue to thrive.
- Baltimore, Maryland: Along with some really good crab cakes, Baltimore is also the place to be if you are seeking Government work. In 2008 the Baltimore area saw 175,000 job postings.
- Tampa, Florida: In 2008 Tampa offered up 170,000 job postings. It just goes to show you can have a good opportunity for Government employment and still enjoy some fun in the sun.
- Chicago, Illinois: In 2008 the city of Chicago saw 169,000 Government job postings. Chicago is another city that should be getting an increase of the new security jobs that will be made available in the next couple of years.
- Los Angeles, California: Rounding out the top ten is LA. Home to the starts and 150,000 job postings in 2008, LA offers plenty of opportunity for those looking to work for the Federal Government.
Keep in mind that these cities only represent the top ten in the country. With all the additional openings coming available over the next couple of years there really never has been a better time to be seeking a Government job. While you don’t have to live in one of the cities mentioned or be a pro at one of the fields mentioned to land Government work, if you have one or both factors going for you it certainly will not hurt your chances any.
Sometimes it pays to be informed. Take some time to check out what your area has to offer by way of Government job postings. You may be surprised with what you find. Remember, just because the rest of the job market is not so great right now, doesn’t mean that the Government is planning on slowing down so you may as well take advantage of this fact and try your luck with a Government job.