This is archived content and the information in the article may no longer be accurate.
Government jobs come with many perks and perhaps one of the best perks is the amount of discounts that Government employees are entitled to. These discounts are offered by various companies and are meant to be sort of a thank you to all those who work for the Government. This includes military and non-military Government jobs and the savings that can be enjoyed can wind up being quite substantial.
There are many discounts that Government employees are entitled to. Some discounts are a specific percentage off and others are special offers that are far cheaper than the offers an average person would receive. Here is a small sampling of some of the welcomed discounts that are available to Government employees:
- Geico: Geico offers discounts on auto insurance for active or retired Government employees that are GS-7 and above. The offered discounts are available in most states and the District of Columbia. Learn more about this program by visiting http://www.geico.com/information/discounts/federal-employee-discounts/.
- Apple: If your Government job requires you to use an iPad, iPhone, or any other Apple product, you are entitled to a discount. Apple offers a special discount for all Government employees on even their most popular products and more information can be found at http://www.apple.com/r/store/government/.
- Dell: Dell is another large tech company that offers special discounts to Government employees. Dell Honors employees and retirees of the Federal Government and their families with up to 30% computer discounts and best price guarantee for members. Go to www.dell.com/epp/federal to receive your discount.
- Verizon: Verizon offers some Government employees a huge savings for all their cell phones, cell phone calling plans, and cell phone accessories. You can see if you are eligible to take advantage of Verizon’s savings at https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/employee/emaildomainauthentication.jsp.
- Avis: If you are a Government employee or active military and looking to rent a car, then Avis has specials for you. Not only do they offer special discounted rates, but they also offer other specials like free upgrades and the like. Learn more about their specials for Government employees and military personnel at https://www.avis.com/car-rental/profile/go.ac?A555084.
- Alamo: Alamo car rental service also gets in on the action and offers a wide variety of discounts and special services for all Government employees and military personnel seeking to rent a car. This includes unlimited miles, special leisure rates, free upgrades, and more. Learn more about these Alamo perks at https://www.alamo.com/index.do?action=/hotDealsTemplate&msg=AL_GOVRNR_Splash.
These are but a very small example of the many companies that offer discounts to Government employees. It should be noted that many companies will not openly advertise that they do have such specials so it always pays to ask if they do. While the savings may not be significant, any savings is good savings and if you are entitled to it as a Government employee, then you should get it.