Can I Deposit an Inheritance I Received Into My TSP Account?

View this article online at and visit to sign up for free news updates
By on September 11, 2017 in Pay & Benefits, Q&A with 0 Comments

Blue ballpoint pen and a last will and testament on a clip board

Q.  My Aunt Bertha died and left me a tidy sum as an inheritance. Can I deposit this money in my Thrift Savings Plan account?

A.  No you can’t. All TSP contributions must come from payroll deduction or from rollovers from qualified plans. A qualified plan would be a prior employer’s 401(k), either traditional or Roth, or pre-tax money in a traditional IRA. The inheritance you were left by Aunt Bertha is not a qualified plan.

However, here are a couple of things to think about.

  1. If you’re not contributing the maximum allowed to the TSP, you can increase your payroll deductions so that you reach the maximum at the end of the year and use some of Aunt Bertha’s inheritance to fill in the hole you created in your budget when you increased your TSP contributions. In 2017, the elective deferral amount is $18,000 and those 50 and over (including those that turn 50 this year) can contribute an additional $6,000 as a catch-up contribution. If your spouse has a qualified plan through their employer, they could do the same thing.
  2. If you are fully funding the TSP, you can contribute to an Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA) as long as you have earned income.  You could set up an IRA for your spouse as long as one of you has earned income.  $5,500 is the maximum IRA contribution with a catch-up contribution (same age rules as above) of $1,000.  Be sure to check IRS Publication 590-A before you contribute to an IRA, as there are income limits that restrict your ability to contribute to a Roth IRA, or to deduct your contributions to a traditional IRA.

Agencies can request to have John Grobe, or another of Federal Career Experts' qualified instructors, deliver a retirement or transition seminar to their employees. FCE instructors are not financial advisers and will not sell or recommend financial products to class participants. Agency Benefits Officers can contact John Grobe at [email protected] to discuss schedules and costs.

© 2019 John Grobe. All rights reserved. This article may not be reproduced without express written consent from John Grobe.


About the Author

John Grobe is President of Federal Career Experts, a consulting firm that specializes in federal retirement and career transition issues. He is also affiliated with TSP Safety Net. John retired from federal service after 25 years of progressively more responsible human resources positions. He is the author of Understanding the Federal Retirement Systems and Career Transition: A Guide for Federal Employees, both published by the Federal Management Institute. Federal Career Experts provides pre-retirement seminars for a wide variety of federal agencies.