What will the federal holiday schedule be in the new year for current federal employees? The list of ten official holidays as provided by OPM is as follows:
- Monday, January 2 – New Year’s Day
- Monday, January 16 – Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Monday, February 20 – Washington’s Birthday
- Monday, May 28 – Memorial Day
- Wednesday, July 4 – Independence Day
- Monday, September 3 – Labor Day
- Monday, October 8 – Columbus Day
- Monday, November 12 – Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 22 – Thanksgiving Day
- Tuesday, December 25 – Christmas Day
OPM notes that for holidays that fall on a weekend, the holiday is usually observed on Friday for a Saturday holiday and Monday for a Sunday holiday, such as what was just the case with New Year’s.
In the United States, a federal holiday is a public holiday recognized by the United States Federal government. Non-essential federal government offices are closed. All federal employees are paid for the holiday; those who are required to work on the holiday sometimes receive holiday pay for that day in addition to ordinary wages. See the OPM web site for more information.