Is Academic Leave Available for Graduate Studies?

By on January 23, 2015 4:58 AM in Pay & Benefits, Q&A with 0 Comments
View this article online at and visit to sign up for free news updates

Updated: August 20, 2018 4:19 PM

Q: I am a federal employee and currently in the process of applying for graduate school. While the bulk of my studies will be done in a non-resident status, my program of study will require that I participate in six residential sessions of up to 2 weeks apiece.

Do federal regulations require me to use annual leave for this study, or is there another way? I am not aware of academic leave for U.S. Army civilian employees, but is there an applicable regulation of which I might be ignorant?

A:┬áIf we’re talking about “regulations”, you would need to use A/L or LWOP. However, you might want to talk to your supervisor and to the training department. If your course of study is job related, they might be willing to explore other options.

Agencies can request to have John Grobe, or another of Federal Career Experts' qualified instructors, deliver a retirement or transition seminar to their employees. FCE instructors are not financial advisers and will not sell or recommend financial products to class participants. Agency Benefits Officers can contact John Grobe at [email protected] to discuss schedules and costs.

© 2020 John Grobe. All rights reserved. This article may not be reproduced without express written consent from John Grobe.


About the Author

John Grobe is President of Federal Career Experts, a firm that provides pre-retirement training and seminars to a wide variety of federal agencies. FCE’s instructors are all retired federal retirement specialists who educate class participants on the ins and outs of federal retirement and benefits; there is never an attempt to influence participants to invest a certain way, or to purchase any financial products. John and FCE specialize in retirement for special category employees, such as law enforcement officers.