2024 Medicare Part B premiums will be increasing over the 2023 premiums. This is not a big surprise since 2023 Medicare Part B premiums went down relative to 2022, plus healthcare costs generally increase each year, sometimes significantly.
The standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B enrollees will be $174.70 for 2024, an increase of $9.80 from $164.90 in 2023. The annual deductible for all Medicare Part B beneficiaries will be $240 in 2024, an increase of $14, or 6.2%, over the 2023 annual deductible of $226.
According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the 2024 Medicare Part B premium increases are being driven primarily by increases in healthcare spending.
2024 Medicare Part B Premiums
|Beneficiaries who file individual tax returns with modified adjusted gross income:||Beneficiaries who file joint tax returns with modified adjusted gross income:||Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount||Total Monthly Premium Amount|
|Less than or equal to $103,000||Less than or equal to $206,000||$0.00||$174.70|
|Greater than $103,000 and less than or equal to $129,000||Greater than $206,000 and less than or equal to $258,000||$69.90||$244.60|
|Greater than $129,000 and less than or equal to $161,000||Greater than $258,000 and less than or equal to $322,000||$174.70||$349.40|
|Greater than $161,000 and less than or equal to $193,000||Greater than $322,000 and less than or equal to $386,000||$279.50||$454.20|
|Greater than $193,000 and less than $500,000||Greater than $386,000 and less than $750,000||$384.30||$559.00|
|Greater than or equal to $500,000||Greater than or equal to $750,000||$419.30||$594.00|
What is the Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA)?
The income-related monthly adjustment amount (IRMAA) is an extra premium added onto some peoples’ Medicare Part B premiums. Individuals who have higher incomes get the privilege of paying the additional cost.
Whether or not you pay the higher premium amount is based on your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI).
Most people on Medicare Part B pay 25% of the premiums and the government pays the other 75%. Individuals who earn more money and are subject to IRMAA have to pay more for Medicare Part B premiums equal to 35%, 50%, 65%, 80%, or 85% of the total cost, depending on what they report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
When is the Medicare Open Enrollment Period?
The Medicare open enrollment period is from October 15 – December 7 each year. This is the time when individuals with Medicare can change their Medicare health plans and prescription drug coverage for the following year to better meet their needs.
What Does Medicare Part B Cover?
Medicare Part B covers two types of services:
- Medically necessary services: Services or supplies that are needed to diagnose or treat your medical condition and that meet accepted standards of medical practice.
- Preventive services: Health care to prevent illness (like the flu) or detect it at an early stage, when treatment is most likely to work best.