The Partnership for Public Service (Partnership) has released its annual Best Places to Work in the Federal Government® rankings for 2021. The rankings include 503 agencies and their subcomponents.
Overall, the employee engagement and satisfaction score dropped to 64.5 out of 100, a 4.5 point drop from 2020. The Partnership said that this was due to COVID-19, noting that situation left many federal employees uncertain about if, when and/or how they would be returning to work in agency offices while many other federal workers never stopped in-person work due to the nature of their jobs.
So which agencies topped the list in their respective categories? Here are the top five agencies among large, medium and small federal agencies.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Commerce
- Intelligence Community
- Department of Veterans Affairs
It is worth noting that NASA has held the number one spot for 10 years in a row.
- Government Accountability Office
- National Science Foundation
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- General Services Administration
- Securities and Exchange Commission
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- Office of Special Counsel
- U.S. International Trade Commission
- Surface Transportation Board
The rankings also include a list of 432 agency subcomponents. Topping this list are Directorate for Education & Human Resources (National Science Foundation), Office of the Executive Director (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission), Office of the General Counsel (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission), Directorate for Biological Sciences (National Science Foundation), and Office of Inspector General (Small Business Administration).
Agency subcomponents that came in at the bottom were Field Service (Railroad Retirement Board), Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (Department of the Treasury), Defense Technical Information Center (Office of the Secretary of Defense, Joint Staff, Defense Agencies, and Department of Defense Field Activities), Federal Bureau of Prisons (Department of Justice), Office of the Inspector General (Social Security Administration).
The complete listing is available at bestplacestowork.org.